Now is a good as time as any to enrich your student’s learning about the Great Barrier Reef, take them out to discover its wonders first-hand and help them share it with the community. The Great Barrier Reef Education Experience Program provides a $150 per student subsidy to primary and secondary school students in Queensland undertaking school excursions within the Great Barrier Reef.
Lady Musgrave Experience has a strong commitment to environmental sustainability and education and would love to share the wonders of this World Heritage Protected Area with you and your students. We maintain strong partnerships with the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Universities, our local traditional owners at Gidarjil Development Corporation and Bundaberg Regional Council to deliver a set of valuable onboard educational experiences which are engaging, with a strong place-based, ‘learn-by-doing’ focus.
We love to collaborate with schools and invite you to share and achieve a common goal: to create a worldwide community of custodians for the protection of the Great Barrier Reef both now and into the future.
Our educational experiences can be adapted to your needs and may include:
· In-class guest speakers from the tourism industry and/or traditional owner sea rangers
· A trip to the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area to discover and learn about the reef and its wonders first-hand. Students can get involved in our most immersive learning experience by becoming a “Marine Biologist for a Day”.
· Creative learning tasks allowing students to share with their community (e.g. through creative arts) lessons learned from their trip to the reef
We use two main citizen science methods to learn about reef health:
· Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s (GBRMPA) Eye on the Reef Rapid Monitoring
· University of Queensland’s CoralWatch